Mustapha Kandouz, Ph.D.
Chemistry Bldg RM 433, 5101 Cass Ave
Detroit, Michigan 48202
Ph. D in Human Genetics Graduate Program
University of Paris VII, Laboratoire de Oncologie Moleculaire, 1998.
Project: Hormonal regulation of apoptosis in normal and tumorigenic mammary tissues.
Master Degree in Molecular Genetics and Physiology of Microorganisms
Universite de Paris XI, Institut de Genetique et Microbiologie, Centre Scientifique de Orsay, 1992.
Project: Analysis of the genomic context of a reactivated marker in Bacillus subtilis chromosome.
Bachelor degree in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of Agadir, Morocco, 1990.
- Assistant Professor at the department of Pathology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, February 2010-Present
- Research Associate and Project Director at the Montreal Centre for Experimental Therapeutics in Cancer, Lady Davis Institute, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, January 2002-2007
- Scientific Director of the Segal Comprehensive Cancer Centre Cell Imaging Platform, Montreal Centre for Experimental Therapeutics in Cancer, Lady Davis Institute, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Research Associate at the Department of Radiation Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit-MI-USA, January 1999-August 2001.
- Kandouz M, Batist G. Gap junctions and connexins as therapeutic targets in cancer. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2010 Jul;14(7):681-92
- Kandouz M, Haidara K, Zhao J, Brisson ML, Batist G. The EphB2 tumor suppressor induces autophagic cell death via concomitant activation of the ERK1/2 and PI3K pathways. Cell Cycle. 2010 Jan 15;9(2):398-407.
- Hu L, Miao W, Loignon M, Kandouz M, Batist G. Putative chemopreventive molecules can increase Nrf2-regulated cell defense in some human cancer cell lines, resulting in resistance to common cytotoxic therapies. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2009 Nov 26.
- Kandouz M, Alachkar A, Zhang L, Dekhil H, Chehna F, Yasmeen A, Moustafa AE. Teucrium polium plant extract inhibits cell invasion and motility of human prostate cancer cells via the restoration of the E-cadherin/catenin complex. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009 Nov 6.
- Bier A, Oviedo-Landaverde I, Zhao J, Mamane Y, Kandouz M, Batist G. Connexin43 pseudogene in breast cancer cells offers a novel therapeutic target. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009 Apr;8(4):786-93.
- Yasmeen A, Bismar TA, Kandouz M, Foulkes WD, Desprez PY, Al Moustafa AE. E6/E7 of HPV type 16 promotes cell invasion and metastasis of human breast cancer cells. Cell Cycle. 2007 Aug 15;6(16):2038-42. Epub 2007 Jun 6.
- Hernandez M, Shao Q, Yang XJ, Luh SP, Kandouz M, Batist G, Laird DW, Alaoui-Jamali MA. A histone deacetylation-dependent mechanism for transcriptional repression of the gap junction gene cx43 in prostate cancer cells. Prostate. 2006 Aug 1;66(11):1151-61.
- M. Kandouz, A. Bier, G. Carystinos, MA. Alaoui-Jamali, G. Batist. Cx43 pseudogene is expressed in tumor cells and inhibits growth. Oncogene. 2004 Jun 10;23(27):4763-70.
- W. Miao, L. Hu, M. Kandouz, D. Hamilton, G. Batist. A cell-based system to identify and characterize the molecular mechanism of drug-metabolizing enzyme (DME) modulators. Biochem Pharmacol. 2004 May 15;67(10):1897-905.
- GD. Carystinos, M. Kandouz, MA. Alaoui-Jamali, G. Batist. Unexpected induction of the human connexin 43 promoter by the ras signaling pathway is mediated by a novel putative promoter sequence. Mol Pharmacol. 63(4):821-31. 2003.
- WM Miao, L. Hu, M. Kandouz, G. Batist. Oltipraz is a bifunctional inducer activating both phase I and phase II drug-metabolizing enzymes via the xenobiotic responsive element. Mol Pharmacol. 2003 Aug;64(2):346-54.
- M. Kandouz,. D. Nie, G.P. Pidgeon, S. Krishnamoorthy, K. Maddipati. and K.V. Honn. Platelet-type 12-lipoxygenase Activates NF-kB in Prostate Cancer Cells. Prostaglandins and Other Lipid Mediators. 2003. 64(2):346-54.
- M. Kandouz, GP. Pidgeon, A. Meram, KV. Honn. Mechanisms controlling cell cycle arrest and induction of apoptosis after 12-lipoxygenase inhibition in prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res. 62(9):2721-7. 2002 (Co-First Authorship).
- M. Kandouz, K.V. Honn, Eicosanoids regulation of transcription factors in PC3 prostate cancer cells. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2002;507:563-8.
- A. Lombet, V. Zujovic, M. Kandouz, C. Billardon, S. Carvajal-Gonzalez, A. Gompel, W. Rostene. Resistance to induced apoptosis in the human neuroblastoma cell line SK-N-SH in relation to neuronal differentiation. Role of Bcl-2 protein family. Eu. J Biochem 268(5):1352-62, 2001
- M. Kandouz, A. Lombet, J.Y. Perrot, D. Jacob, S. Carvajal, A. Kazem, W. Rostene, A. Therwath, A. Gompel, Proapoptotic effects of antiestrogens, progestins and androgen in breast cancer cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol., 69(1-6): 463-71, 1999.
- A. Gompel, M. Kandouz, M. Siromachkova, A. Lombet, D. Thevenin, M. Mimoun, Ph. Poitout. The effect of Tibolone on proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis in normal breast cells. Gynecol. Endocrinol. 11, Suppl. 1, 61-63, 1997.
- M. Kandouz, A. Gompel and A. Therwath . bcl-2 protooncogene, Apoptosis and Oncogenesis: an Overview. Int J Oncology, 9, 563-566, 1996.
- M. Kandouz, M. Siromachkova, D. Jacob, B.C. Marquet, A. Therwath and A. Gompel. Antagonism of Estradiol and Progestin on Bcl-2 expression in breast cancer cell lines. Int J Cancer 68, 120-125,1996.